Thursday 8 October 2009

World music! Can we not just say music from Mali ?


T, Today's letter from the random music gods, number 19 in the Latin alphabet and initial letter of a band I cant even pronounce, Tinariwen.

This one was an easy one to choose once I spotted the band on iTunes (Although as this is classified as 'world music' anyone who knows me probably knows how much rooting I must have done before resorting to this genre).

As one of my highlights of this years Glastonbury, I have often threatened to find out who the band were who played the main stage on a balmy Saturday afternoon last June and although I will admit I had drank a few cold lagers and had treated myself to a fresh organic iced lemonade minutes before they came on (both sugar and alcohol to stimulate), the sheer delight of listening to this band still makes me smile now in the middle of dark and dreary October.

So there you go ! Tinariwen, desert blues from Mali, perfect for an sunny English summer afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment